Thursday 3 July 2008

Why build a demountable camper?

Lets face it buying a camper van is not a cheap purchase, so as I am a builder converting a panel van was a good option. After spending an age deliberating about converting, the cost of the project got the better of me. This is especially if you include the additional cost of insurance, maintenance , MOTs' etc and the fact that the van is standing for long periods between use. I'm not into towing caravans any more and do have an old one rotting in the garden. It was this that sparked the idea of making a demountable camper van for my Hilux truck. These are popular in the US and have seen a lot of them on my travels through Australia. I mentioned the idea to my mate Tubs who is a welder/fabricator and after a few beers the idea got better and better (Other more sober folk seemed not so impressed!). Anyway not to be put of so easily we pressed ahead. I did a quick sketch on Autocad and priced the materials and approximated the weight on a spread sheet. All looking good. After a search on the internet for a few examples and dimension checks, I ordered the steel and Tubs made a start welding it together. Meanwhile I started stripping out the old caravan.

This is the old caravan to be used as a donor for a large part of the shell. Most of the internal frame is rotten and has been chopped out. Have saved a lot of the internal fittings as some of these may come in useful. Thats it for now will update soon.

4 comments:

Hans Jenssen Illustration said...

Those guys who dig up wrecked WWII bombers from the permafrost in Siberia and restore them to flying condition, they've got nothing on you and Tubs! Just as long as this silliness doesn't interfere with my en-suite, that's all.

The Cat Butler said...

Hope you're going to keep that excellent green algae paint finish. There's a whole ecosystem going on there.

Dicky De'builder said...

Most people seem to think its quite a task, but the clarity of the project comes with a few g&t's. As for the algae green I must say it will be hard to lose it, especially as it would match the weeds growing out of my truck.

Unknown said...

Hi mate ...Im wondering how your demountables going, like you I thought of building my own as im a gardener and allthough got a Hymer Camp 55 (Motorhome) it sits most of the time outside the house!..grrr so being a welder in my time thought of making a frome up out of steel, reenforced with wooden frame, and my way was to cover with new alloy cut to size, finnish interior with ply etc and apply the fitting as I go?

some questions that you might of come across, how is the wieght of the camper on your Hi Lux, as it is a steel frame and lots of wood, fittings etc how does it behave on the road, have you fitted Air suspension etc.

Im thinking of using the Hi Lux too, but the one I have is quite a bit off the ground and wondered about safety etc.

Cheers
Simon
trittoni2@yahoo.co.uk
Manchester